Friday, July 24, 2009

Unworthy Servants

Chew on this one from Jesus:

Luke 17:7-10 (ESV)
"Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and recline at table'? Will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink'? Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded? So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.'"

Jesus is constantly battling the sin of entitlement. You know, it goes like this:
  • God should make my life happy because I serve in the church or witness or give or read my Bible somewhat regularly.
  • People should treat me extra special, give me a discount or a handout because I'm in "ministry." At least a thank you card, after all I deserve it!
  • My parents should give me everything I want just because I'm their child.
  • The church should pay more attention to me because I give more than most people.
  • I'm a white American...
Entitlement is motivated by many things - position, status, social class, wealth, ethnicity, etc. I think the essence of this sin is that you come to expect favor because of who you are or what you have done. In other words, you earn favor. And earning favor is the opposite of the Gospel. Perhaps that is why Jesus spoke so strongly against entitlement. After all, He didn't die on the cross for people who deserve salvation. He died for unworthy servants, who deserve only eternal punishment. Entitlement makes me the savior. That's a scary thought.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts Pastor Jeremy. This has been one of my favorite passages for a long time. I imagine these verses can sometimes rub Christians the wrong way. We think that we are 'in'. We too easily forget our unworthiness, and presume too much.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis