Thursday, September 3, 2009

Unpacking Forgiveness

My wife's uncle, Chris Brauns, is a pastor in Illinois and author of "Unpacking Forgiveness: Biblical Answers for Complex Questions and Deep Wounds. " It's an excellent book on a subject most of us can use help on. He recently wrote an article on forgiveness for Reformation 21 Magazine. The article begins:
I've been thinking recently about something television star Kelsey Grammer said. It's not because I saw a rerun of Cheers. Unfortunately, the context is tragic. Grammer has me thinking about well intentioned people who end up "packing unforgiveness." Where deep wounds are concerned, there are those who try and do what they believe faith requires. Yet, they end up hurting all the more.
Before I write anything more, I want to go on record saying that I have prayed for Kelsey Grammer. I have three lovely sisters and two beautiful daughters, and I simply cannot imagine what he has gone through.

To understand why Grammer is on my mind, you need to know something of the awful tragedies he has endured. When Grammer was only 13 years old, his father was murdered. A shark killed his twin brothers while they were scuba diving. But the most devastating loss for Grammer may have been the murder of his sister, Karen.
Read the full article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis