Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Help for Busy Moms on Balancing Life

Grace Driscoll, the wife of Mars Hill pastor Mark Driscoll, has begun to blog at their new site pastormark.tv. While I'm not a mother, I know this post by her will be very encouraging to busy moms. She begins:
While I'm responding to these questions about “balance” in the home, I have stacks of paperwork on my desk, a “to-do” list a mile long, kids coming home from school soon, have realized I forgot to eat breakfast, and I’m wrapped up in a Wonder Woman blanket of all things.
A scenario like this is all too common for busy moms with any number of young kids. One of the hardest things for me is to keep perspective of who I am serving, instead of all the tasks that are flooding over me. Husbands need encouragement and affection, newborns take every moment to care for since they can’t do anything alone (even sleep sometimes), toddlers are constantly moving and asking questions, young kids need help with school homework and projects, and teens need emotional time and a listening ear. These are all a natural part of kids growing up and being in relationship with people we love.
If I list all the things and people I'm called to care for, it seems impossible, and it is…at least to do so perfectly, every moment. I wish I could give you a 10-step process to the smoothest running home, but I can’t. We're all different women, with different husbands and children. But thankfully, we all have the same God to help us.
You can read the rest of the post here.
I also found this quote encouraging (you know, for moms and dads):
“The kids can be running like a bunch of hooligans through a house that appears to be at the bottom of a toaster, and yet, if organization and order can still be found in my attitude, we are doing well. But if my attitude falters, even in the midst of external order, so does everything else” (Loving the Little Years, Rachel Jankovic).

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis