Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Why Me?

A good reminder here from Justin Taylor, reflecting on the question "Why me?"

Arthur Ashe, winner of three Grand Slam titles in tennis, contracted HIV during a blood transfusion for his second heart surgery. He died in 1993 at the age of 49 from AIDS-related pneumonia. In his memoirs he wrote the following insightful words:

Quite often, people who mean well inquire of me whether I ever ask myself, in the face of my diseases, “Why me?”

I never do.

If I ask “Why me?” as I am assaulted by heart disease and AIDS, I must ask “Why me?” about my blessings, and question my right to enjoy them.

The morning after I won Wimbledon in 1975, I should have asked ‘Why me?’ and doubted that I deserved the victory. If I don’t ask ‘Why me?’ after my victories, I cannot ask ‘Why me?’ after my setbacks and disasters. (p. 326)

Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis