Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Should I Get Married Young?

Trip Lee and his wife, Jessica, were 21 and 22 when they got married. Below, they offer their reasoning for getting married at a young age. While they say that marrying young is not for everyone, their reasoning is sound and a needed corrective to the "enjoy your youth" or "get established first" mentality. Click the links to read their full response.

Trip's Response
  1. I met a godly woman
  2. I was ready
  3. Marriage is a blessing
Jessica's Response
  1. I found a godly man
  2. We were encouraged by the people in our lives
  3. The Lord showed me the beauty of marriage
Best quote from Trip:

So when people say, “What possessed you to get married so young?” my new response is, “You’re asking the wrong question.” I think at the root of that question is the assumption that marriage steals something away from me, as if my youth is being wasted in committed sacrificial love when it could be used for casual pleasure and flakiness.
As a pastor, I encourage young adults to get married sooner rather than later as long as they can positively answer a few questions.
  1. Are you spiritually and emotionally mature enough to commit your life to someone? The next two questions will help you answer this one.
  2. Are you in community with other believers and counselors? Are they affirming your decision to get married?
  3. Are you willing to participate in pre-marital counseling?
  4. Can you survive financially? You don't have to eat steak, but you have to at least be able to afford Ramen. And as a man, you better be willing to work hard and provide.
One final point for men: Man Up! Pursue a godly woman, get to know her, love her, sacrifice for her, lead her. Stop playing video games and pursue. And just maybe, she will say yes.

For more on this topic see:

3 comments:

  1. Jeremy, great post. Radonna was 19 (two weeks shy of 20), and I was 20 when we got married. We celebrated 20 years this year. I have now been married longer than I was "single." I can't even begin to imagine a life without my wife. We have eaten Ramen, mac and cheese, steaks and even seafood. It has been a fun journey, one that I would not trade for all the supposed experiences that we missed by getting married young. In fact, I don't feel as if I have missed out on anything. If anything, we have had shared experiences that we would have missed out on had we not got married young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your "testimony" WB! Michelle and I have almost have 11 years down. Hoping for many more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were 18 & 19 when we made the decision. Both parents on both sides knew & spared us no sharing of their wisdom regarding marriage and self-sacrificial love. It's been nearly 11 years. It is not easy, not for the faint of heart. I also do not fit the typical "stay at home wife/mother" mold at all, so that has been challenging for some people around us. My husband is extremely supportive of who Christ has made me, as I have of him (and still am definitely trying to be more so) and our three children. I think I am learning to trust what God is making our family to be & how He is manifesting His will and presence in our marriage. It's a great journey, and one we will continue until our last breath.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis