- I met a godly woman
- I was ready
- Marriage is a blessing
- I found a godly man
- We were encouraged by the people in our lives
- The Lord showed me the beauty of marriage
So when people say, “What possessed you to get married so young?” my new response is, “You’re asking the wrong question.” I think at the root of that question is the assumption that marriage steals something away from me, as if my youth is being wasted in committed sacrificial love when it could be used for casual pleasure and flakiness.As a pastor, I encourage young adults to get married sooner rather than later as long as they can positively answer a few questions.
- Are you spiritually and emotionally mature enough to commit your life to someone? The next two questions will help you answer this one.
- Are you in community with other believers and counselors? Are they affirming your decision to get married?
- Are you willing to participate in pre-marital counseling?
- Can you survive financially? You don't have to eat steak, but you have to at least be able to afford Ramen. And as a man, you better be willing to work hard and provide.
For more on this topic see: